The focus of most organizations while developing an employee recognition system is generally on the policy, budget and the categories of rewards to be offered to the employees. In an era, when digital socializing has become an important part of the life of almost every individual, simply presenting rewards and certificates to the employees might not be enough. In today’s world, understanding the significance of social recognition and integrating the same into their employee recognition systems is of utmost importance for organizations.
Social recognition is not just about using public social media channels, but about highlighting the achievements and efforts of their employees across the organization. Recognition by peers is the key to social recognition. Recognition by the management is important for employees, but social recognition is the icing on the cake.
Social recognition needs to be a key component of employees and recognition systems. It should be integrated into employee rewards and recognition programs.
The most important benefits are as follows:
1. Creates a Sense of Pride: Social recognition gives employees with a deep sense of pride in their work and enhances their self-worth significantly.
2. Feel Valued: Being recognized socially assures the employees that their peers value them enough to proudly highlight their contribution and their efforts on a public platform.
3. Feel Integrated: Peer-to-peer recognition ensures that the employees feel accepted, acknowledged, and appreciated for their hard work and contribution by their coworkers.
4. Inspires Others: Social recognition motivates other members of the workforce to higher levels of performance and to get recognized in a similar manner.
Organizations need to integrate social recognition into their employee recognition programs in an effective manner. Organizations should take a few key steps towards this, as described below:
1. Promote the Concept of Peer Recognition
Employee recognition should start from coworkers themselves; peer recognition should be promoted among the members of the workforce. The management should encourage and empower employees to appreciate the efforts and achievements of their coworkers directly without having to wait for the approval of their supervisors. Employees should feel free about walking up to their peers and praising them for a job done well.
2. Use Technology to Streamline the Process
An effective way to streamline the recognition process is through the use of right technology platform. For example, investing in peer recognition software platform can make it easier for co-workers to send ‘Thank You’ notes and appreciation e-cards to each other. At the same time, it enables HR to keep a tab of the good work of employees that has been appreciated by their peers. Effective employee recognition software with a built-in digital wall of fame can assist in the process of social recognition.
3. Make it a Part of the Organization Culture
Social recognition needs to become an integral part of the organizational culture. There are many forums for social recognition such as team meetings whether offline or virtual, emails, discussion groups, sticky notes, etc. Social recognition can help build a culture of appreciation that is self-sustaining and does not require constant intervention by the management or the HR.
Social recognition is all about publicizing the efforts and achievements of employees in a manner that inspires other members of the workforce to perform better and get similar recognition.
To stay updated on the latest HiFives blogs follow us on Twitter (@MyHiFives)